Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ok… I admit it. I was stupid to think I could do 3 shows in 3 months and still live my normal life. No I cannot. Last night, as I lay awake for most of the night, I came to the realization that I was actually looking forward to going to North Carolina this weekend because I just need to relax a little…
Don’t get me wrong – I love doing these shows – I love the shows and the folks with whom I’m working. I love my job and the folks there. I love my family. I’m just tired of thinking, thinking, thinking.
My poor shower curtain almost reached out and grabbed me this morning. I have three loads of laundry to fold. The dishwasher needs to be unloaded so the clean dishes can go in it. I need to pack to go away.
And speaking of going away, we’ll be staying in a nice hotel and we’ll be touring the county including the town where my husband will be working. Let me tell you about this town.
Apparently, the highlight of the year is the Collard Green Festival. Let me list some entries I found on the town’s website regarding last year’s event:
Mayor XYZ is calling the 32nd annual TOWN Collard Festival "A great success with record attendance." Crowds from various counties flocked TOWN streets near Town Hall for music, arts and crafts, cotton candy and funnel cakes, a Ferris wheel, parade, and sporting events from collard cooking and eating contests to horseshoes and a 5k road race. (ok a 5k road race – I’m totally down with that!)
Here’s another entry:
Due to lack of interest in the Womanless Beauty Pageant (Ms. Collard Blossom) this year, we had to cancel the event. The event was scheduled for Tuesday, 9/5 at 7:00 p.m. in the TOWN Arts and Recreation Center. Keep an eye out next year to see if Ms. Collard Blossom happens to 'pop' again! Have a great "Collard Festival" Week!!!! WHATTTTTT??????
And these folks are SERIOUS about collards:
Collard Eating/ Cooking Contest
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2006
1:00 PM ON MAIN STAGE/ West Avenue
(For Collard Cooking Contest, you must have your collards with you and ready to be judged on stage (West Avenue Main Stage) at 1 p.m.

Don't miss the 32nd annual Collard Eating contest. Come to the stage about 1 p.m. to sign up and eat a mess of Collards. We have 2 categories each year. One for the Males and one for the Females so there will be 2 winners. The only rule is you must eat each pound of Collards completely and you can add anything to it while eating them. Eat as much as you can for the 30 minute time period and you just have to keep them down long enough to get your prize and plaque.

We can only have a total of 16 contestants...So come early if you want some collards!!!

Oh there’s live music too – a band called TrainWreck” and one called “Super Grit Cowboy Band”. ‘nough said! And yet, I am looking forward to this trip…

No comments: